Friday 30 September 2005

T Minus Two Days

I went to see my GP today to get him to sign the "consent" form that LL want before I can begin the programme. It's a bit short notice for me but my LL counseller said that as long as I give her a photocopy tomorrow (as well as posting the original), we should be okay.

Since the initial meeting a couple of weeks ago I have been mentally preparing myself for this. I am aware that it is going to be a difficult change, especially for the first couple of weeks. I haven't gone mad eating food but every time I eat something I particularly like, I kind of say goodbye to it, at least for the next year, maybe forever. I am ready and raring to go.

I went to the GP today as when I went a couple of weeks or so ago, he told me that my BP was a bit on the high side - 145 over 100. Although people tell me it wasn't particularly high it is obviously enough to concern anyone. Already convinced by Lighter Life, this sealed the deal.

I was expecting the BP to come down when I went back today, but, no, it's actually gone up to 149/106, which was a bit of a shock. He has given me a subscription for Alenolol, which I am dubious about, as I'm never keen on taking tablets. Then the speech came about weight loss... I just don't know where to begin moaning about that! This GP is new to the surgery and he's an idiot. He doesn't even look at you when he speaks to you, doesn't listen and mumbles when he talks. Obviously he's not used to intelligent women...

I interrupted him and gave him the LL leaflet (for GPs) and asked him to tick the boxes on the form (to say that I don't have heart trouble, no transference of medical responsibility) and explained to him what the diet was about, that I had researched it on the net and spoken to the company and counsellors but he was having none of it. He flatly refused and said that he couldn't recommend it.

I am having a bit of a PMS day, so mood swings are abound - I didn't realise it then. I managed to convince him to fill in the form but then he wouldn't give it to me unless I gave him £20. Of course he still didn't believe in it, he just figured he'd make £20. Arsehole.

I just told him that I am out of work and cannot afford it - all he had to do apart from sign was to tick a couple of boxes, questions that he needed to ask me anyway, and take my BP, which he'd just done. He was trying to get me to take some Xenicol, and I refused. I had asked for it before from another GP who was not keen on letting me have it, and once with prescription in hand had a little look around the net and was stunned by the side effects. It's simply not worth it, it would make me afraid to eat anything. My mind is already fucked with food without encouraging me to be afraid to eat it!

I wanted to act more upset than I was (although I was very disappointed) but the tears came and, embarrassed, I ran out of his office, ignoring him call after me. What was the point?

The receptionists stopped me andI told them what had happened. They were so nice and they said they'd speak to the main GP and see if she'd let me have it cheaper. I thanked them and left.

It turns out that after seeing the next person he went out to reception and told them I could have it for free and that he hadn't intended to upset me. I'm miserable for the rest of the day really, but that is a huge relief and I can finally start this thing.

First meeting is tomorrow, so I will update afterwards....

No comments: